SetUp 2018 will take place at Palazzo Pallavicini, Via San Felice 24, in the heart of Bologna, just a short distance from Due Torri and Piazza Maggiore.

Palazzo Pallavicini was built on the tradition of the Bolognese Fifteenth century, and belonged to the Villa, Volta and Marsili Families; in 1557 it was acquired by the Isolani counts, who in 1680 renovated it in the senatorial architecture. The architects, Luigi Casali and Paolo Canali were entrusted with the task to built the monumental staircase and the hall with a lantern shape ceiling, the highest of the city together with the one in Ranuzzi Palace.

Salone Palazzo Pallavicini (credits Filippo Guicciardi)

In 1700 the palace changed owner from Ferdinando Bolognetti Alamandini the marshal Gian Luca Pallavicini, captain and minister of the Empress Maria Teresa of Austria and Viceroy of Milan. With Pallavicini, the building become center of a European court, offering events such as banquets, concerts, and housing crowned heads.

In the halls Palazzo Pallavicini, chapters of international history were written and significant diplomatic relations have been written. Main politicians of that time came here: Maria Carolina of Hapsburg stopped in Bologna, the grand duke of Tuscany Pietro Leopoldo of Lorraine with his wife Maria Luisa of Bourbon of Spain and the Austrian Emperor Giuseppe II too.
Giuseppe Pallavicini, the marshall’s son, became the owner of the palace therefore decided to change the palace in via San Felice in an avant-garde neoclassical shipyard of the highest level.

It is worth remembering that in march 26, 1770, the fourteen year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart performed in the presence of seventy ladies and of the European high aristocracy. Mozart family was hosted on several occasions and in autumn, he composed Quaerite primum regnum Dei and in all probability the minuet in E flat major k 94 were created.

Credits: Elisabetta Landi